Our Site has been shifted from here to its own domain link below

Karachi University teachers on Thursday called off their boycott

KARACHI, Karachi University teachers on Thursday called off their boycott of classesfollowing identification of two students allegedly involved in manhandling of a KU teacher a week earlier and cancellation of all entry passes of students’ vehicles.

The teachers of the university had gone on an indefinite boycott of classes on Friday in protest against the last Thursday’s incident in which a lecturer of the philosophy department, Aslam Shah, was beaten by some students in front of the university’scommerce department when the KU teacher along with his wife, also a lecturer in the university’s economics department, was proceeding towards the university’s Maskan gate in his vehicle.

The incident occurred following the teacher’s car was hit by another vehicle carrying the students.

The Karachi University Teachers’ Society (Kuts) general body meeting held on Thursday decided to call off its earlier decision of boycotting classes for an indefinite period when Kuts president Prof (Dr) Mutahir Ahmed informed the participants of the meeting that KU vice chancellor Prof (Dr) Pirzada Qasim Raza Siddiqui informed him on Thursday that a disciplinary committee which had been set up to probe the manhandling incident had identified the two students.

The students belonged to the economics and the food science departments, he said.

The Kuts president also quoted the vice chancellor as saying that the entire academic record of both the students allegedly involved in the incident had been sealed while their entry to the campus had been banned.

He also informed the general body meeting that the disciplinary committee which could not prepare its report about the incident due to Eid and Allama Iqbal day holidays had sought some more time to furnish its report to the vice chancellor.

Expressing its satisfaction that the KU administration had cancelled entry passes of students’ vehicles and its disciplinary committee was still busy in preparing the report, the Kuts general body meeting decided to call off its boycott of classes.

Meanwhile, the KU vice chancellor also assured Kuts office-bearers that the university administration would shortly notify two or three emergency numbers where reports of such incidents could be lodged for prompt action by the university security personnel and the Rangers deployed on the campus.Dawn.

No comments:

Post a Comment